5 Different Types Of Special Transportation Permits

If you are running your own owner-operated trucking business, it is important to understand the different types of permits that you will need for special circumstances. There are five different types of oversized permits that you may need. There are single-trip permits, city and county permits, superload permits, temporary trip permits, and annual permits.

Type #1: Single-Trip Permits

The most common type of trip is a single-trip permit. You need a single trip permit when you are carrying an individual loan that either exceeds the weight, height, width, or length limits for the state that you are driving through.

The exact limit where you need a special single-trip permit varies based on the state you are driving in. That is why it is important to know the rules for each state you are driving through to ensure you have the right permits to carry goods in that state.

Type #2: City & County Permits

In some areas, in addition to having a single-trip permit for the state, you may also need to get a permit for certain cities and counties that you are going to pass through. This is usually necessary if your route will require you to get off the interstate or highway and take local roads with your cargo.

Type #3: Superload Permit

A superload permit is when you are transporting a very large load that exceeds the normal limits. This is basically like a double oversized load. With a superload, you oftentimes need more than just a regular escort, you need a police escort because your load is so big. This type of permit requires a lot of coordination and usually costs more money.

Type #4: Trip Permit

A trip permit is also referred to as an international registration plan and is used when you need to travel out of state with a commercial vehicle. This is the type of permit you need to take your vehicle through the United States and Canada, or through various states, and your load is oversized.

Type #5: Annual Permit

An annual oversized or overweight permit is kind of like a blanket permit that allows you to haul something for a year period with a certain size and weight limits in play. There are also shorter-termed blanket permits, such as 30, 60, and 90-day blanket permits.

When it comes to transporting cargo as an owner-operator, you need to make sure you have the right type of permit if you are transporting an oversized loan. A special transportation company can help you with all your permit applications to ensure you have the right permits for your cargo.